First Baptist Church Camden, Arkansas
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
What is Christian Baptism?
FBCC defines Christian baptism as the immersion in water of an individual who has already been saved as a symbol of the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the new believer.
Top 10 Questions about Christian Baptism:
1. Is Christian baptism essential to salvation? No. See 1 Corinthians 1:17 and Ephesians 2:8-9.
2. Is Christian baptism essential to obedience and right standing with the Lord Jesus? Yes. See Matthew 3:13-17.
3. Who should be baptized? Any individual who has trusted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
4. How should every Christian be baptized? The New Testament pattern and example of baptism is immersion. Jesus was immersed, and every baptism in the New Testament is by immersion. Only a submerged body can symbolize the death and burial of Jesus Christ and the old self. Only then can an individual be a picture of the resurrection of Jesus Christ and being raised to new life.
5. What have church fathers said about immersion?
John Calvin (Father of the Presbyterian Church), "The word 'baptize' signifies to immerse. It is certain that immersion was the practice of the ancient church."
Martin Luther (Father of the Lutheran Church), “I would have those who are to be baptized to be entirely immersed as the word implies and the mystery signifies.”
John Wesley (Father of the Methodist Church), “Buried with Him, alludes to baptizing by immersion according to the custom of the first church.”
6. When should a new believer be baptized? As soon as possible. See Acts 16:14-15, 33.
7. Do I become a member of FBCC once I am baptized? Yes.
8. What if I was baptized as a child or youth but wasn't saved until later? The New Testament pattern is believing and then baptism. If you have not been baptized since you were saved, you should follow through with believer's baptism.
9. What if I was sprinkled as an infant? The New Testament pattern is immersion after salvation. In order to join FBCC, an individual must be immersed after salvation.
10. When does FBCC baptize? FBCC baptizes at the beginning of our Sunday morning and Sunday evening worship services. Please talk with a pastor to schedule an appointment.